Integration (OTL101 Post 5)

I appreciate the efforts of TRU open learning division for making their OLFMs taking these courses as they have provided a lot of insight about how online teaching should be done. I believe that the the most important idea which I am learning from this course is keeping in mind the difference between students’ approaches of deep and surface learning. When designing my course in future I will ensure that every student must take the deep learning approach as the assessments will be designed to meet learning out comes. This is also a very specific smart goal and my strategy will be to assign individual assignments and a class paper so that every student has to think and analyze the problem in hand in my courses.

The concept of teaching styles is also very important and I think that this course made me realize that I am a level 2 teacher who blames himself when students do not perform well. I believed in transmitting the knowledge from my brain to the student’s brain. Now in future my efforts will mostly be in the direction where class activities will be designed in such a way that course outcomes must be achieved in more efficient way. Even though I have been paying emphasize on this but now I will be much more focused on class activities.

Overall this course has made me think that how I can make my course better which was the main aim of taking the “Think” course. In the end I am leaving with curiosity. Whether we can really force a student with surface learning approach to adopt the deep learning approach? Can class activities really forces him to use high level cognitive skills? Obliviously, I will use class activities to do so but will such students really appreciate the efforts or will they overwhelm with higher level cognitive demands of the course.